University Of Aberdeen VPN
Remote VPN provides staff and students with secure, authenticated remote access to personal and shared network filespace and to web-based resources via their personal device.
Whether on campus over the University wireless network, at home, or in a wireless hotspot, all you need is an internet connection – open your web browser and login to the VPN with your usual University username and password.
How do I get started?
Follow our step–by-step guidelines to install the VPN components on your personal device and to connect to the VPN.
Note: These guidelines and the accompanying screenshots are from a Windows 7 laptop. Depending on your device platform and OS, your experience may differ.
BEFORE you install
- you must be connected to the internet
- you must have a current University of Aberdeen username and password
- your web browser’s Java version must be up-to-date and Java must be enabled – check you have the recommended version for your OS at java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
- you must have up-to-date antivirus software
- you must ensure your Windows updates are current
If in doubt, or if you would like guidance, please contact the Service Desk
Download and install VPN components
Before using Remote VPN for the first time, you will need to download and install Aventail Access Manager components. You will only need to do this once.
- If you are using internet security software on your device (e.g. Norton, ZoneAlarm, McAfee, or similar), you may have to temporarilydisable firewalls and/or other internet security settings for the duration of the VPN component installation. Don’t forget to enable these again once installation is complete.